So, you’re thinking about making the switch to natural shampoo bars, but you aren’t sure what to expect? Perfect - you’re in the right place! Homestead Soapery is expanding their brand and making shampoo bars is a natural next step (also, I have finally worked through my 1litre shea cleansing shampoo and don’t want to replace it, so a perfect time to get creating!)
Let’s start with the basics:
HOW DO I KNOW IF A SHAMPOO BAR IS RIGHT FOR ME?
Part of the magic of shampoo bars (and organic products in general) is that they provide a uniquely personal experience. They may work wonders for one person… while for another… well, they may not be a perfect match. And that’s totally ok! The shampoo soap bar experience is all about tuning in to your own personal body chemistry and listening to your body - especially if you’re a newbie to natural products and are making the “transition” for the first time!
Here are a few ways to know if a shampoo bar is right for you:
- You are ready to commit (or have already committed) to a completely natural hair care routine.This means no synthetic styling products, no products or conditioners with silicones or any other "cones", and not over-manipulating your hair with excessive heat. It may sound scary at first - but once you liberate yourself from the addiction to the "fake shine" of the synthetics and the constant heat damage from styling tools - you will get to enjoy the BEST HAIR OF YOUR LIFE! Not to mention, a pretty rockin' air dry!
- You don't currently over-process, or heat style your hair daily. (OR, you are ready to make a change to a more natural approach to beautiful hair.) This means you don't currently heavily dye your hair (or, plan not to). With WFH options becoming more prevalent, people are more into function and utility over shine and dazzle, and shampoo soap bars tick the boxes for this.
- You are interested in tuning in to your body's natural rhythms,helping your hair to heal and take care of itself the way nature intended.
If you think the above describes you - then welcome to the tribe!
WILL I EXPERIENCE A “PURGE” OR “TRANSITION” PERIOD?
Only a percentage of shampoo bar users experience a true “transition" or "purge period”, but yes - this is possible. When first using a shampoo bar, you may experience a "waxy" feel to the hair after washing. This is often referred to as "the purge" or "the waxies" in the shampoo bar community - and could be the result of one of two things: a bad reaction with hard water, OR an adjustment to balancing out your scalp's oil production. Both "the purge" and "the waxies" can usually be remedied with an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse. The good news is that the "waxy feel" is TEMPORARY and simply a brief phase on the path to the healthiest hair of your life.
WHAT ELSE CAN I DO TO HAVE THE BEST SHAMPOO BAR EXPERIENCE?
I would highly recommend incorporating these blissful rituals into your routine to truly make the most of your shampoo bar experience - and enjoy the BEST hair of your life!
- Use Soft Water:Hard water is inevitable for some but if you have the opportunity to have some impact on changing this, then it will be better for your hair. Hard water leads to mineral build-up in the hair, which can feel gunky and cause hair to look lifeless and dull. Bottom line: shampoo bars + hard water can lead to a bad case of "the waxies" - where your hair feels waxy or straw-like. You can easily prevent "the waxies" by installing a water softening system or a much more budget-friendly showerhead filter. Another alternative is to do monthly or bi-monthly "chelating" washes.
- Don't forget to Dry Brush:Seriously - this step is VITAL to a fantastic experience with shampoo bars.
- Monthly Deep Treatments:These should be introduced once the purge period has ended as a means to keep your hair and scalp in ultra-nourished condition.
- Ditch The Heat:One of the fabulous benefits of shampoo bars is that they result in the most magically perfect air-dry. You will get to enjoy that enviable "effortless" look with silky locks, body and it will require absolutely NO effort. We highly recommend you let your natural hair texture shine by using heat tools as little as possible. The less you use them, the faster your hair will heal, and the less you will find you need them.
WAIT, I HAVE CURLY/DRY/FRIZZY/POROUS/STRAIGHT/OILY HAIR? WILL THIS PRODUCT BE GOOD FOR ME?
Yes, it will. This first bar being formulated does lean toward being more suitable for curly hair (as I have wavy to curly 2C hair), but testing is continuing for making one for oily hair to encourage cleansing and not strip the hair entirely. Both soap bars are currently in development stage and will be sent out for testing shortly. If you’re interested in being a tester for our shampoo bars, please get in touch via social media.